Russian infant Matvey Zakharenko was a happy and healthy baby boy born on November 16, 2014, but his life was permanently changed within a few days of being welcomed into the world. Born with a mild case of jaundice (yellowing of the skin) so doctors ordered he undergo light therapy.
Matvey was taken by a nurse to a special crib which had a lamp hovering above to cure his condition, but unfortunately he was left unsupervised during this time. One of the medical lamps exploded, catching fire to him and the crib. Matvey was now permanently scarred by this horrific incident.
The worst part of this entire ordeal is that his birth mother no longer wanted him after seeing the damage done to his body. The 19-year-old mom just could’t handle raising a burn victim…even if she’d just given birth to him days before.
Hospitals, volunteers, human rights activists and families wanted to help when they heard about all that happened to the innocent baby. It turns out two different women fought in court to adopt the adorable little guy. He was finally given to Svetlana, a woman who’d been deeply touched by his story.
Svetlana began writing a blog to keep the world updated with Matvey’s progress, revealing he’s had several surgeries and continues to improve. He still wears a prostetic nose as doctors have been unable to reconstruct him a new one, but that hasn’t stopped the two year old from smiling and enjoying life with his new family. Good luck to Matvey!